Provision of water and sanitation to informal settlements and schools
CLIENT: eThekwini Municipality: Water and Sanitation Department
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Professional Engineering & Project Management Services (EPCM)
Scope of Services Provided:
- Engineering Design
- Cost Estimating
- Contract Administration
- Construction Monitoring (Supervision)
- Commissioning and Handover
Project Scope:Bosch Projects was one of four Design Consultants to provide professional engineering design and construction supervision services to eThekwini Municipality, over an eight-year term (2011 — 2019) for the provision of water and sanitation services to informal settlements and schools.The project improved the lives of 618 000 residents living in informal settlements by providing temporary ablutions blocks to address the water and sanitation requirements. Toilet blocks were provided for male and female dwellers, using either modified shipping containers or prefabricated ablutions, each fitted with two showers, two flush toilets, wash hand basins and a storeroom. Four wash troughs were also provided outside for washing clothes. Some 384 “Informal Settlements” have been connected to the Municipalities water and sewer systems. Mast lighting was also provided for safety use at night. Caretakers have been trained and employed to maintain these facilities.
The project included:Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering for the following areas of work:
- Identify a platform for the toilet block and complete earthworks design.
- Design the water supply to the toilet block (including bulk infrastructure).
- Design the sewer from the toilet block (including bulk infrastructure).
- Position the male and female toilet blocks within the informal settlement.
- Design ancilliary works, such “Dry Stack Walls” and “Storm-water Drainage” at the toilet block.
- The project also included Master Planning studies of large catchment areas within Ethekwini. The Master Plans consisted of key bulk infrastructure projects that progressed to detail design and implementation.
- Upgrading of existing bulk infrastructure (e.g. sewage pumpstations, trunk sewer mains and road infrastructure).
Category: Waste Water